Cleaning your kitchen countertop
COOK WITH EASE
A modern design places everything you need within reach.
ENTERTAIN STRESS FREE
A spacious and organized kitchen you will be proud to show off.
Increase your home's value
Updated kitchen and bathrooms offer the best return on your investment.
Kitchens are one of the most frequently used rooms in the home. Food preparation, quick clean ups, the days mess – all happen and most frequently on our countertops. Regardless if your countertops are made from granite, laminate, or any other material, they should be able to withstand all spills.
There is no single, one-size-fits-all tip for cleaning countertops, every surface is different, and some materials can withstand kitchen mishaps better than others. MCK Kitchen and Bath offers these cleaning tips to ensure your countertops will sparkle and shine for many years to come.
- Granite is an igneous rock, and can be porous if it isn’t sealed properly, so it should be cleaned thoroughly and sealed before it’s installed. Acidic cleaning products and anything vinegar-based can damage granite, so only use warm water, a conservative amount of soap and a wet sponge or soft cloth to clean the surface.
- Marble countertops are porous and susceptible to stains, but they aren’t affected by heat. Treat marble with a special stone sealer to reduce its porosity, and wipe up acidic food spills immediately to prevent permanent surface etching. Abrasive cleaners will damage the surface of marble, and oil polish and soft waxes may discolor it. Borax rubbed into the surface with a moistened cloth will also clean marble. Rinse with warm water, and buff dry with a soft cloth.
- Stainless steel is a popular choice, but it is very sensitive to the atmosphere, and can become permanently damaged when exposed to harsh chemicals. Regularly wash the stainless steel surface with warm water and a small amount of baking soda. Never use abrasive materials like steel wool. Rough cloths or pads will scratch the surface and ruin the reflective finish.
- Many kitchens have Formica, plastic laminate, or acrylic countertops. They’re practically seamless, giving cooks a smooth, waterproof work surface that’s easy to clean. Unfortunately, plastic laminate burns, scratches, and stains fairly easily. For general cleaning, a two-sided scrubbing pad with fiber on one side and a sponge on the other works particularly well.
- Concrete is a versatile countertop option, cured and sealed for protection and longevity. Clean concrete surfaces with a mixture of vinegar and water, and always avoid abrasive soaps and cleaning solutions containing harsh chemicals. Abrasive pads and sponges can damage the surface as well.
- Glazed and unglazed ceramic tiles, wood, and silestone are other options that require specialized care and maintenance to avoid permanent damage.
At MCK Kitchen and Bath, we can design and manufacture your kitchen and our large selection of counter tops is one reason why we have thousands of satisfied customers. Call or visit one of our showrooms today at Bayers Lake: 902-445-5736 and Burnside: 902-468-6453 for more details, and to learn what financing options we offer.
Share this post!
You can increase your living standards and add value to your home by using kitchen renovations in Halifax. The kitchen gives you the largest return on investment because it is considered the center of the home.
Installing new kitchen cabinets is a big decision. Not only do you have to consider the financial obligation, but there is a lot of time and disruption involved in new kitchen cabinets.
New Year, New Kitchen! If you’ve been thinking about kitchen renovations, 2020 is the perfect year to do it! From crisp, clean modern designs to rustic, natural designs, 2020 kitchen renovation trends offer something for everyone.
Kitchen & Bathroom Cabinetry
2 - FREE Consultation
Work with a professional to design the kitchen and bathroom cabinets of your dreams
3 - We plan, coordinate, and install
Kick back and relax while we take care of all the details, informing you every step of the way
4 - Love your kitchen and bathrooms again
Enjoy the new look, storage space, and efficiency your new kitchen and bathroom cabinets bring
MCK Kitchen & Bath
Address: 19 Akerley Blvd, Dartmouth, NS B3B 1J7
Phone: (902) 468-6453
Hours Of Operation
- Sunday Closed
- Monday 9a.m.–5p.m.
- Tuesday 9a.m.–5p.m.
- Wednesday 9a.m.–5p.m.
- Thursday 9a.m.–5p.m.
- Friday 9a.m.–5p.m.
- Saturday 9a.m.–4p.m.
- Evening Appointments by Request
Kitchen Cabinets Made in Halifax, Canada